loading....
Loading.........
News/Events

Sunday school picnic going to Crazy Castle on 08/Feb/2015 Time - 8:30 AM to 5 PM


 

 
Worship
----------------------------------------
The pastorate committe, WFCS, Youth Fellowship, Sunday School and Choir group has been working along with the Presbyter to make the worship services as much a blessing as possible for those who attend.
Read more
 
Stewardship
----------------------------------------
The congregation of St. Thomas’ Church, New colony, Nagpur is fully devoted in the service of God. Members of this church are committed towards God nad therefore thay have dedicated their time, talent and treasure for the service of God; as per the bye-law of NDC (Nagpur Diocesean Council).
 
Outreach
----------------------------------------
The Worship Sub-committee has been working along with the Presbyter to make the worship services as much a blessing as possible for those who attend.
Read more
 
 
WELCOME TO ST. THOMAS CHURCH (CNI), NEW COLONY, NAGPUR
 
Canon George Davenport Philips
Founder Priest

St. Thomas' Church is one of the oldest churches in the diocese of Nagpur which came into existence under the Chanda Mission of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

In the year 1871 the Scottish Episcopal Church took on responsibility for oversees mission work in two areas: in Chanda in India and in the newly created Diocese of Kaffraria (now known as St. Johns) in South Africa. The Mission in Chanda district was started in 1870 by the Rev. G.T. Carruthers of the Indian Ecclesiastical Establishment, a son of the editor of the Inverness Courier. Rev. G.T. Carruthers suggested both to the Bishop of Calcutta and to the Scottish Bishops that Chanda is an ideal area in which the Scottish Episcopal Church might become involved. The work was done evangelistic, educational and medical.

The Chanda mission built up two congregations: St Thomas' Church Nagpur and St Andrews Church Chanda and these were handed to the Diocese of Nagpur in 1958. The Diocese of Nagpur became part of the CNI in 1970.

This congregation, as a Tamil congregation mainly of the soldiers of the Madras Regiment stationed at Kamptee, was in existence since 1840. In the earlier days the Tamil service began in the Saint Thomas's Chapel from 15th September 1907 under the Priesthood of W.S. Silas.

The English service began in the Saint Thomas's Chapel on 18th November 1909 under the Priesthood of Canon George Davenport Philips who was the founder Priest of the church and had came to Nagpur in this year. He and Mrs Philips encouraged the existing work, planned a building for the Saint Thomas's Church.

The St. Thomas Church, New colony,
Nagpur under construction during the year 1919.
The St. Thomas Church, New colony,
Nagpur under construction during the year 1919.
Canon Philips saw the foundation of the Saint Thomas's Church, Nagpur which was laid on 18th February 1918 at 5.30 pm by the Bishop of Nagpur Eyre Chatterton. The Church was consecrated on 21st December 1925 but Canon Philips died-beloved by all-shortly before the consecration in this year. Revd S. Jadhav was the priest of the Maharashtrians.
References:-
Scottish Episcopal Clergy, 1689-2000, Edited by David Bertie,
INDIA~ Past Glimpses of Country Life: Rev Charles Copland,
Register of service, of the St. Thomas’ Church, Nagpur.
 
Contact Information
+91 0712 26361207
presbyter@stthomaschurchnagpur.org
St. Thomas Church (CNI)
New Colony, Nagpur
Shortcuts
Social Contacts
Visitors:   Website counter Web Committee Copyright © 2014 St. Thomas Church, New Colony Nagpur